
At first, I was a bit skeptical about Peter Wilson, aka Duke Special, judging from the dreadlocks and the charcoal-lined eyes. I've never liked dreadlocks or even eye-liners (they're irritating, also literally), much less the guys sporting them. That was before I had a change of heart. Since hearing his duet "Drink To Me With Thine Eyes" with The Divine Comedy's Neil Hannon and catching (to my surprise) "Last Night I Nearly Died" once on the local music station, 105.9 RJUR, I found out that his music doesn't sound like Zak de la Rocha's or his similar-haired peers in the rap- and nu- metal world. Well, miles away from that.
When I also discovered that one of Duke's strongest influence is actually The Divine Comedy, my eyebrows finally lowered for good.
Since getting to like Duke, I have been relying on downloads. But then, I was having a hard time downloading his mp3's... ok, I'm guilty of that crime. ;)
Luckily for me, I had come across the CD Songs From The Deep Forest (his 2006 release) at a CD sale last Saturday. I had no second thoughts; I picked a copy right away.
I'm trying my best not to sound indulgent because I'm a fan of Duke's; otherwise, you might accuse me of that particular offense. But really, can I resist it? I don't think I can.
Sure, I may point out the obvious The Divine Comedy influence in more ways than one in Songs From The Deep Forest, But unlike, say, Oasis, who kept on slavishly imitating the Beatles to the point of unoriginality to the core, Duke acknowledges Neil's influence while carving out a distinct style he can proudly call his own. His sound harks back to the usual entertainment your grand grand-parents used to enjoy before the advent of moving pictures (of course, this still exists). Yet the "vaudeville pop" he's now known sounds far from being antiquated.
A cascading cello greets the opener "Wake Up Scarlett" whose style recalls the grandest ELO track one could ever think of, and gives a more gentle space for a few tinkling of ivories before Duke launches into that striking part again. Despite that, it doesn't make Duke's own handling of the rhythm heavy-handed. "Everybody Wants A Little Something" is a bouncy little ditty to which you won't mind doing a few bobs from your head. I really like the bass clarinet specifically heard on "Brixton Leaves" and "Salvation Tambourine" -- I bet this constitutes Duke's individual sound. "Freewheel" and "No Cover Up" offer some drama -- the former sounds like a bit of the Verve. An antidote is served immediately via the light-hearted "Portrait" which is as charming as TDC's "Perfect Lovesong" sans the joke and the sonic landscapes. "Ballad Of A Broken Man" should be best performed live -- I mean, should be enacted live on stage, more like -- to emphasize its lyrics such as "I shake and I shiver/ I poison my liver/ I'm riding a river, that river is blue". The execution may be comical but of course, there's the sad meaning behind it, lurking to tug your wretched hearts. Oh well, that's what vaudeville is all about, folks.
The album reminds me of an idyllic rolling countryside, or conjures up a town pub where the lads invite you over for a pint of Guinness or two. Songs From The Deep Forest has that rural charm, without the cloy factor, thankfully. The guys who participate on this record seem to have a rip-roaring good time, I guess. Their no-frills, cohesive musicianship -- the guitars, strings, horns, woodwinds and even handclaps go hand in hand on this piano-driven motif -- is quite brilliant and delightful.
Even without the pennywhistles, you can't make a second guess out of this whole affair. The album has an undeniably Irish air (you can even point out the lyrics "Belfast leaves me alone"). Duke's honey-toned English singing is quite accented, and it's another part of the appeal. This fellow is evidently proud of his homeland, once rigged by religious wars, where leprechauns once revelled and -- luck o' the Irish indeed -- snakes never exist (well, my doubt on that was finally put to rest when I looked up at my encyclopedia).
My favorites? There are quite a lot: "Freewheel", "Salvation Tambourine", "Portrait", "Something Might Happen", and of course, "Last Night I Nearly Died". But really, every song here is worth the admission.
Duke Special used to open for The Divine Comedy and performed with them quite many times. I know the meaning... Duke must have made his fellow Ulster and his fans (who have, and who will have, become Duke's too) proud. Considering, not to brag, that the Divine Comedy is quite a tough act to follow as an influence. Duke has also been compared to Rufus Wainwright often. I don't know much of Rufus' body of work, but judging from the critical praises heaped on the American tunesmith, Rufus must be a genius, too.
At best, I could see Songs From The Deep Forest as a delicate little bijou that never fails to charm anyone who take a closer look at it. Anyone should never be deterred by the vintage strains, Irish atmosphere and music-hall influences--there's more than that. Or the symphonically-challenged listener should at least give this the attention it deserves. Duke special's brand of pop can make any music listeners' cup of tea.

0 Yorumlar